Published: Feb. 12, 2020
Madison Graham with her parents outside Mayo Clinc, Rochester

Where are you placed this year?

Mayo Clinic- Rochester, MN

Describe your "typical" day (or lack of "typical" day).

Lack of a typical day is probably closer to the truth, ha! But- in the best way.

My rotation has been split into 4 rotations: Pediatrics, Cochlear Implants, Vestibular, and Hearing Aids. Throughout the year I work in diagnostics. Many opportunities have come from each rotation thus far, but one of the most exciting has been working with ABIs in a newly developed NF2 clinic. This past January, I worked with a team of audiologists, neurologists, and neurotologists during implantation and activation of three auditory brainstem implants. I am so grateful to be a part of this team as I begin to understand the incredible challenge brainstem implants bring.

Research is a major component to my externship as well. Primarily, I have been conducting research in the vestibular and implant realms. A few of the studies I have been involved in span topics like, fluctuating impedances, eABR use in ABIs, DHI scores for patients with multiple chronic conditions, and how a 7-Telsa MRI stimulates the vestibular system magnetically through Lorentz force.   

What's something important that you've learned at your placement so far?

1. When it comes to your upcoming externships, there will be times that you will feel as if you are not ready for the next step (whatever that may be). Know that your experiences thus far have prepared you for the next step. I feel very confident in our education. When it comes to the externship (or any rotation), just go for the next step- you’ll be able to handle what comes your way.

2. Each rotation you find yourself in is a new hallway full of doors; push yourself, go the extra mile, say yes to one more thing- those doors will open.