Published: Feb. 16, 2023

Where are you placed this year?Emily Lee a fourth year AuD student in front of Greater Los Angeles Department of Veteran Affairs (VA)

I am placed at the Greater Los Angeles Veterans Affairs (VA) Medical Center.

Describe your "typical" day (or lack of "typical" day)

I rotate through 3 different VA locations in the Los Angeles area. My typical day beings at 7am- I come in to prepare for my patient load that day until I see my first patient at 7:30am. I start my mornings with audiologic evaluations which are scheduled for 1-hour each (so nice!). The VA has a pretty thorough testing protocol for new patients (otoscopy, tymps,diagnostic reflexes, pure tones air and bone, tone decay or reflex decay, speech SRT & WRS, speech in noise testing (WIN or QuickSIN), performing the HHIE, then ordering hearing aids and taking earmold impressions if warranted). I also do hearing aid or BAHA fittings in the mornings. My Tuesday afternoons include vestibular evaluations, Thursday afternoons I'm leading a group Progressive Tinnitus Management (PTM) class virtually , and Friday afternoons I do Central Auditory Processing evaluations (CAPD). My day everyday finished up at 3:30pm. 

What's something important that you've learned at your placement so far?

I've learned a great deal about counseling at my placement. I have such a heart for counseling and I did not realize how much room I had to grow and improve my counseling skills until I saw some of my preceptors with our veterans, they're truly amazing. I'm learning how to see patients through a more person-centered lens, modifying everything from the appointment to how I communicate and compose myself based on what the veteran or their families show me that they need. I'm beginning to learn how to steer away from "checking off" MY list of what I need to complete during the appointment to really studying the veteran, learning their learning style and learning barriers, and thinking to myself throughout the appointment what is most important to them and how can I follow up to ensure they receive the quality of service necessary to be successful or have improved quality of life through the management of their hearing loss journey.