Published: Dec. 20, 2023

Where are you placed this year?Fourth year with Bailey, her boyfriend and her dog

I am currently completing my 4th year externship at Rocky Mountain Ear Center and Cochlear Americas. My typical week varies pretty extensively!

Describe your "typical" day (or lack of "typical" day)

At Cochlear I am currently working with the clinical team and on the research and development team. Right now, most of my time is dedicated to seeing subjects for an investigational device! My day to day also varies quite a bit at RMEC. I see balance, cochlear implant, bone conduction and hearing aid patients- which means completing a variety of assessments! I also see quite a bit of surgical ears, which I find very fascinating!

What's something important that you've learned at your placement so far?

So far, one of the most important things I have learned is to ask for opportunities! I have gotten all the opportunities I have asked for, but I wouldn't have gotten them unless I reached out- which has led to such an amazing experience! Another thing I have learned is to never say 'no' to a learning opportunity. Even if you don't do your best, you have nothing to lose! You are a student just trying something new, and trust me, people will recognize the courage it takes to be willing to try something out of your comfort zone.

Any words of wisdom?

Give yourself grace during your externship and be honest when you don't know something! You gain a lot of independence during this year but it doesn't come right away and it takes time!