Published: March 7, 2024

Where are you placed this year?Fourth year student Headshot

I am completing my externship at Children's Hospital Los Angeles.

Describe your "typical" day (or lack of "typical" day)

There is rarely a typical week! I perform comprehensive audiologic evaluations for children ages 0-21 years of all abilities both in the outpatient setting and in-patient while admitted at CHLA, sedated auditory brainstem response (ABR) evaluations (both in our sedation suite and in the operating room combined with ENT) and natural sleep ABRs. I perform bone conduction and conventional hearing aid consultations and checks using verification and make appropriate recommendations to local cochlear implant centers when necessary. I have also gained experience working as a part of multidisciplinary teams with the CHLA Craniofacial team and Hematology/Oncology. I am also a part of CA-LEND and am currently working on a project creating a comprehensive guidebook for families in Los Angeles County to increase knowledge of the 1-3-6 roadmap for newly diagnosed hearing loss and available local resources!

What's something important that you've learned at your placement so far?

Hearing healthcare disparities exist and it is so important to meet families where they are! Being in Los Angeles, I see a diverse patient population. Some of my patients experience barriers to accessing care (transportation, language barriers, cost, etc.) and it has taught me the importance of patient/family centered care and the need for close follow-up and information on how to access local resources.

Any words of wisdom?

Always be willing to jump in and do things that might scare you! Be willing to make mistakes and learn from them!