Where are you placed this year?

UCLA Health 

Describe your "typical" day (or lack of "typical" day)

What I love about my externship is that there is no “typical” day! I see patients of all ages - from birth to 100+ years old - performing diagnostic testing and hearing aid consultations, fittings, and checks. Additionally, I see cochlear implant evaluations, activations, and follow-ups for both pediatrics and adults. I also join our inpatient audiology team, which is where I get sedated ABR experience in the OR, as well as work on an interdisciplinary team for UCLA’s Craniofacial Clinic and ENT clinic.

What's something important that you've learned at your placement so far?

It is so important to advocate for yourself and your needs as a future clinician! I’ve learned how to ask for more autonomy in appointments I feel comfortable leading or asking for guidance prior to and during appointments to ensure I am not only providing the best care, but learning the most as an extern. This can apply to clinic in each year of the AuD program!  

Any words of wisdom?

Ask questions! Do not be afraid to make mistakes! Use your clinical rotations as a place to not only apply what you’ve learned in class but learn by DOING! I’ve learned so much by picking my preceptors’ brains about their reasoning behind decisions throughout each rotation - including my externship. This is the time to do that!!